Moisturizers are critical for maintaining the suppleness and elasticity of your skin. With so many choices out there, you’re sure to find more than a few facial moisturizers that will not only keep your skin from looking dry and flaky but also help you maintain a healthy youthful glow as well. Here are a few tips for using facial moisturizers.
1. Look for quality, noncomedogenic moisturizers. Cheap moisturizers can be fine once in a while, but they can often cause serious issues with pore blockages over time.
2. Gently massage them onto your face. Treat your face the way it deserves to be treated and resist the urge to vigorously rub facial moisturizers onto your face. Stick with gentle, circular patterns and let your skin absorb your moisturizer.
3. Apply your facial moisturizer immediately after hot showers, or after applying an astringent. Hot showers and astringents will strip your skin of some surface oils, leaving it dry. General consensus states that the best time to apply moisturizer is after each of those activities so that your skin is better able to make full use of the moisturizer’s restorative properties.
4. Don’t over moisturize! Not only will your skin feel greasy, you’d be wasting a lot of money too. Depending on the consistency of the product or how your skin is reacting to the current climate, a coin-sized amount should be more or less enough for your whole face.
5. Use less if you’re using another moisturizing product. Some cleansers, sunblocks, and other facial products may already have moisturizing properties of their own. In this case, cut back a little, or refrain from using a separate moisturizer if the other products seem to be already doing the trick.