With the endless variety of anti-aging products out in the market today, which ones should you get? Since we all have different skin and different needs, it’s hard to come up with one universal recommendation. So we’ve come up with a list of the top ingredients used in anti-aging products to help you choose between what’s available:
1. Retinol – the most effective of all anti-aging ingredients, this vitamin A derivative can deal with wrinkles, sun spots, sagging skin, and more. This cure-all is best used at night, after cleansing, and comes in a variety of forms.
2. Alpha hydroxy acids – best at adding radiance and fading imperfections; commonly found in peels. Also works great in tandem with other anti-aging ingredients, as it helps them penetrate the skin faster and work more effectively. One of its most popular forms is glycolic acid. However, products containing glycolic acid should be used regularly for best results.
3. Peptides – these short amino acid chains alert the skin to create more collagen, making it firmer and healthier. And unlike glycolic acid, its effects are more permanent. Even after you stop using the product, your skin will still continue producing collagen.
4. Vitamin C – it’s not just used to boost your immune system. Vitamin C is a power antioxidant that protects your skin from free radicals and sun damage. It also helps in collagen production and a necessary ingredient for normal cell growth. Can be absorbed when applied on skin, in the form of creams, moisturizers, and serums.
5. Hydroquinone – a great solution for hyperpigmentation, which causes sun spots and mottled skin. It works by preventing the creation of melanin in the skin, blocking the enzyme that triggers its production. Works best in tandem with other anti-aging substances, such as retinoid or glycolic acid; most effective when used with sunscreen.