Oil cleansers are an increasingly popular alternative to conventional cleansers due to their gentle action and unique ability to sit just a bit better with most people’s body chemistry. Here are a few tips on using cleansing oils and balms.
1. It’s generally agreed cleansing oils and balms work best on dry skin. This means that contrary to how you would use a regular cleanser, warm water rather than lukewarm may be the better option for your preliminary wash.
2. Pat, not rub your face dry. You want your face pretty dry before you apply your oil cleanser, but you don’t want to agitate it either. Just pat your face dry. Avoid the temptation to vigorously scrub your face, as this could lead to irritation.
3. Give your skin time to readjust to your new oil cleanses. A little under a week should be good enough for most people transitioning to an oil cleanse. You can use the same guidelines whenever you’re trying out a new oil or balm.
4. Don’t cleanse your face more than twice daily. You generally don’t want your face to be touching anything else that often.
5. If you have acne, consider oils with antibacterial qualities. A number of oil cleanses feature antibacterial agents that are either inherent to the base oil or are present as an additional ingredient.