Lip liner used to be one of the least popular components of a makeup kit. But with the soaring popularity of the ombre look, the introduction of better kinds of lip liner, and those who want to make their lips look plumper, more and more women are gradually adding it back to their arsenals. So how do you actually use it? Here are 5 tips to get you started:
1. Define the shape of your lip by emphasizing your cupid’s bow. This is the primary function of a lip liner, especially for girls who don’t exactly have big lips. By emphasizing the lip’s shape, it looks fuller, prepping it for the application of lipstick.
2. Use it as a base to prolong your lip color. Is your dark lipstick getting easily smeared or does it bleed quickly? Then color your lips in with a liner first, making the lipstick adhere longer to your lips.
3. Or use it as the lip color itself! Today, many lip liners are good enough to work on their own. Since most liners have a matte finish, they’re the perfect product for that beautiful yet understated look. They also last longer than most gloss lip colors.
4. Avoid using shades that are too dark. Getting one that’s too dark will only make you look like a clown. Lip liners are supposed to be invisible, made to enhance your lipstick or lip gloss, not to steal away all the attention. (That’s unless you’re going for the all-liner trick.) If you’re not too sure about the shade, there are already nude or clear lip liners available to spare you the chore of choosing the right color.
5. Don’t use straight lines. Rather, use quick short lines around your mouth. A bold, straight line running around your lip will only look unnatural, not to mention harder to do.
We’re thrilled to have you back! Let’s get you signed in.