If you’ve got no time to go to a salon for a hair treatment, applying a hair mask at home is a great alternative, especially since it’s more affordable. Yet simply spreading it on your hair and washing it off isn’t the best way to use it. If you want to maximize the benefits you can get from a hair mask, here are some tips:
1. Make sure to apply a hair mask once a week. This is especially important if you have dry or damaged hair. While a mask may never be able to fully repair damaged hair, the nutrients in it can help prevent that damage from reoccurring. The same rings true for relatively healthy hair—why wait for your locks to get damaged when you can prevent it with a once-a-week treatment?
2. Don’t over-wash after a hair mask. It’s actually safe to leave a little product in your hair, as this can be absorbed by your locks later on. However, if the mask feels extra-greasy, then you’re either using the wrong kind of mask or you’ve used too much treatment on your hair.
3. For oily or fine hair, skip the roots. This will only weigh down your hair, so keep the hair mask just to the body section and the ends. The opposite is true if you have dull or dry hair—applying a mask from root to tip is necessary.
4. Use a warm towel to cover your hair during the treatment process. This helps the hair to better absorb the nutrients from the treatment, by ensuring the mask is directly touching the scalp.
5. Leave the hair mask on for at least 20 minutes. However, if your hair is suffering from excessive damage or is very dry, you can even leave it on overnight.
We’re thrilled to have you back! Let’s get you signed in.