We may be applying conditioner since time immemorial, but that doesn’t mean we’ve completely mastered the art of using it. Hence, here are 5 tips and tricks to make the most out of your conditioner and help you get stronger, better-hydrated hair:
1. Use conditioner every day, even if you’re not going to shampoo your hair. Yes, using shampoo every day can dry out and damage your hair. But that doesn’t ring true for conditioner. You can use it every day, provided that you only use a cleansing conditioner on those no-shampoo days. It has actually become quite popular that there’s now a term for it: conditioner wash, or co-wash.
2. Try applying conditioner first before shampooing. Is your conditioner too heavy and weighing down your hair? Since it cannot be totally rinsed out, put on conditioner first then shampoo after to give your hair that extra bounce.
3. Leave it in for a few minutes before washing it out completely. Yes, even ordinary conditioner needs to sit in your hair for 2 to 3 minutes before you rinse it off. That ensures that all the good stuff it has is absorbed by your hair. To save on time, you can soap up while letting the conditioner stay on your hair; then just rinse everything off in one go.
4. Run a brush first before conditioning. While conditioner can definitely make our hair smoother and silkier, that doesn’t mean it can automatically detangle hair. Brush out those knots first while your hair is dry, otherwise you’d end up with a bigger mess when your mane gets wet.
5. Ran out of shaving gel? Use conditioner instead. You’ll only need a little amount to ensure your razor glides smoothly along your leg. A big plus: it’s not messy at all to use.