While most of us care enough about our skin to customize routines around it, our hair is easily neglected and taken for granted. Truth bomb: just like pores, hair needs constant purification to stay gunk-free. It actually deserves the same level of TLC you bestow upon your face! But in this case, instead of cleanser and toner, you’ll want a clarifying shampoo.
WHAT IT IS
A clarifying shampoo is basically a detoxifying wash for your roots and scalp. Unlike typical shampoos that simply rinse away surface dirt, clarifying formulas provide a deeper, more thorough cleanse. They contain higher levels of cleansing agents (known as surfactants) that flush out stubborn chemical build-up. This build-up includes waxes, silicones, and sulfates left over from using other hair products.
WHAT IT DOES
Deep cleansing is the main goal of any clarifying shampoo. If you use styling products on a daily basis, chances are your strands are coated in chemical residue. This is something regular shampoo can’t wash away on its own. Even your daily shampoo and conditioner contain mineral deposits that accumulate over time. When left untreated, this residue can clog hair follicles, weigh down your hair, and cause dandruff or excess grease.
HOW TO USE IT
Reach for a clarifying shampoo no more than once a week to once a month, depending on your hair needs. Since this type of shampoo contains higher levels of surfactants, using it too often strips your strands of vital natural oils. The last thing you want is dry, brittle hair—the result of over-clarifying.
To use, simply apply the shampoo the same way you would a regular formula: directly onto the scalp. Massage the lather in to dislodge buildup and let it set for a two to three minutes. Then, rinse with cold water. To avoid dryness, follow this up with a rich conditioner or hydrating hair mask.
WHY YOU NEED IT
Regardless of your hair type, a clarifying treatment is crucial for maintaining healthy strands and a clear scalp. It’s does more than just flush out grime. Detoxifying your hair also boosts the effectivity of your other hair products, adds volume to limp hair, clears away excess oil, and serves as the restart button for your hair care regimen when nothing else seems to work. In a nutshell, clarifying shampoos give your strands a clean slate—the same way clay masks do for your skin. Get started with our 5 purifying picks below!
1. Human Nature Clarifying Shampoo (495ml), P320 – A nourishing formula that cleanses the scalp and creates a rich, foamy lather sans chemicals
2. Avalon Organics Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Conditioner, now on sale at P395 (limited time only) – An invigorating, purifying conditioner that relieves itching and dandruff with cooling tea tree extract
3. VMV Hypoallergenics Skin-Saving Superwash Shampoo Mini, P344 – A top-to-toe formula that flushes out product buildup and even doubles as a liquid soap for body acne
4. Amini Natural Hair Cleanser (300g), now on sale P899 (limited time only) – A plant-based blend that eliminates oil and volumizes thin hair with quillaia bark extract
5. Bedhead/TIGI Clean Up Shampoo, now on sale at P600 (limited time only) – A cooling shampoo that gets the scalp squeaky-clean and prevents hair loss. Made especially for men!
Credits: Video and photos by Kat Echon. Don’t forget to follow BeautyMNL on Facebook and Instagram!
“Soho” by Riot (Youtube Audio Library)
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!