Nut butters aren’t new or exclusive to the wellness movement. Chances are you and everyone you know has a jar that’s been their go-to since childhood, long before you started consciously eating healthily. Peanut seems to be the most popular option, but almond, cashew, pili, and even festive hazelnut have started becoming mainstays, too.
We’re not surprised: they pack more hefty health benefits per single spoonful than other fat sources, making them virtually guilt-free. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that many of them are incredibly tasty and versatile! Have ‘em on toast, mixed into your oats, or even in kare-kare—the possibilities are well and truly endless.
Looking to switch it up with a new-found favorite? Below, we taste test 11 different nut butters to help your search party. Watch the video above for detailed reviews on their pros and cons + our ratings for good measure!
11 NUT BUTTERS THAT COULD BEAT OUR CHILDHOOD FAVORITES
1. Rose’s Kitchen Lightly Salted Peanut Butter (340g), now on sale at P243 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “It’s rich, creamy, and not as sweet as you’d expect a peanut butter to be, especially if you’re used to the high-sugar stuff you had growing up.”
AVERAGE RATING: 3.1/5
2. Rose’s Kitchen Cinnamon Peanut Butter (340g), now on sale at P243 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “I like how the cinnamon is super subtle. It tastes like cookie butter!”
AVERAGE RATING: 4.4/5
3. Made by Maxine Roasted Almond Butter (225g), now on sale at P324 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “You can really taste the roasted quality of the nuts. If you’re a fan of plain almonds, you’ll love this.”
AVERAGE RATING: 3.8/5
4. Rose’s Kitchen Roasted Almond (200g), now on sale at P333 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “This one’s tastier [than the previous one]. It’s also pretty savoury, which might make it good in a dish like kare-kare.”
AVERAGE RATING: 3.9/5
5. Made by Maxine Cinnamon Vanilla Almond Butter (225g), now on sale at P315 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “You can definitely smell and taste the vanilla in this. It doesn’t taste like nut butter—it’s kind of like a pastry filling, actually. Perfect for oats and açai bowls.”
AVERAGE RATING: 3.5/5
6. Made by Maxine Extra Dark Cacao Almond Butter (225g), now on sale at P315 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “You’d be able to taste a lot of flavors in a single spoonful. The cacao makes this taste like a reward: a lot less sinful than a chocolate bar, but just as delicious.”
AVERAGE RATING: 4.6/5
7. Alamat Specialty Foods Choco Cashew Spread (240g), P295
OUR THOUGHTS: “It has a very fudgy consistency that makes you want more. It’s not so sweet that it becomes nakakaumay. Honestly, it’s even good straight out of the jar, just by itself.”
AVERAGE RATING: 5.1/5
8. Made by Maxine Crunchy Cacao Cashew Butter (225g), P350
OUR THOUGHTS: “It’s super light! The cashew and cacao complement each other instead of overpowering each other. If you’re looking for that cacao crunch and flavor, this one does it well.”
AVERAGE RATING: 4.2/5
9. Rose’s Kitchen Pili Cashew (200g), now on sale at P333 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “This takes nut butters to the next level. Both taste and texture are good, with just enough nut bits to keep the mouthfeel interesting. It tastes like a pasalubong.”
AVERAGE RATING: 4.9/5
10. Rose’s Kitchen Cinnamon Almond Cashew (200g), now on sale at P333 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “This is so good! The perfect breakfast spread for toast. This is like the Pinoy version of a cookie butter, but it’s not too sweet at all.”
AVERAGE RATING: 5.8/5
11. Made by Maxi Cacao Hazelnut Almond Butter (225g), now on sale at P324 (limited time only)
OUR THOUGHTS: “The nuttiness of this surprises you in a good way. This really reminds us of Nutella, making us want to eat it by the spoonful.”
AVERAGE RATING: 6.8/5
What would you swap your childhood favorite for? Tell us your pick below!
To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!
Like us on Facebook.
Follow us on Instagram (@beautymnl).
Tweet us on Twitter (@beauty_MNL).
Watch us on YouTube.
The BeautyMNL App is also available for iOS and Android! For Apple devices, download it on mobile here. For Android devices, download it on mobile here. Stay tuned for updates and app exclusive promos!