In the age of dewy beauty, using a setting powder to cement your makeup in place seems kind of archaic. But it works, people, especially when your goal is to prevent a makeup meltdown. There are other uses for it, too, like keeping shine at bay and copping the poreless, radiant look fast. See for yourself with the 10 picks below—they’re far from the chalky stuff your lola used to powder her nose!
1. NARS Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder, P1,950 Designed with NARS’ special Photochromic technology, this powder automatically adjusts to sunlight and flash photography so you don’t end up with a Casper-white cast. Best used on normal to combination skin, this reflective formula leaves a glowing effect on makeup while also prolonging wear.
2. Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder, on sale at P450 To nip shine in the bud, you’ll want to use this baby. The Jeju minerals in the formula blur imperfections and mattify the face, but it’s still lightweight enough to let your skin breathe. This sheer powder also contains mint extracts that create a cooling sensation upon application.
3. Banila Co. Prime Primer Finish Powder, P1,060 Don’t be intimidated by its stark white appearance—this powder is completely colorless. It vanishes immediately upon application, leaving behind a smooth, airbrushed finish. We like to think of it as a makeup primer in powder form because of how it absorbs oil and fills in pores and fine lines.
4. Palgantong Theatrical Powder, P1,080 Want a celeb-worthy complexion? This has been dubbed the “Star Powder” for its popularity among Korean actresses! A high-definition powder through and through, this formula credits its Ceramin content for its super-fine particles. It won’t give you a flat-matte effect, but it will certainly make you look lit from within.
5. Holika Holika Sweet Cotton Pore Cover Powder, P455 Super-charge your summer skin with this hydrating powder. It contains cotton and sugar extracts to set your makeup and control shine without making your face look two-dimensional. A swirl of the transparent formula delivers a luminous finish.
6. Tony Moly Cats Wink Clear Pact, P498 The natural ingredients in this pressed powder are gentle on skin, and the adorable compact it comes in makes it ideal for touch-ups. And let’s face it: most oily emergencies happen on the go.
7. Mizon Correct Skin Finisher, on sale at P675 If you’re into strobing as much as we are, you’ll love this pressed powder-and-highlighter hybrid. It sinks right into the skin, which makes for comfortable wear as well as beautiful blendability. You don’t need to use too much of it, either—the subtle flecks of shimmer in the formula really illuminate the face!
8. Avant-Scène HD Powder, on sale at P1,700 In Manila, Avant-Scène is the new kid on the K-beauty block, but in Seoul, the crème de la crème of MUAs use all its products—including the HD Powder. This finely-milled powder offers buildable coverage that blurs imperfections, minimizes pores, and outlasts perspiration. Yes!
9. The Yeon Lotus Flower BB Sun Pact, on sale at P800 This silica-based powder is primarily used to smooth over large pores and patchy skin, but its got enough SPF in it to moonlight as a sunscreen. With all the heat and humidity coming our way this summer, we consider this multi-tasker a saving grace.
10. Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder, P1,650 Need we explain why this iconic powder is on the list? After hours of wear, it still keeps your skin looking as good as when you first applied your makeup! Why? It’s top-secret formula has a mattifying-yet-luminizing power, so even when your natural oils start to surface, you still look super fresh.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Just so you know, we share cookies