In this fickle, fickle weather, the last thing we want is to spackle on some lotion. Isn’t marinating in our own sweat moisturizing enough?
…Just kidding. Truth is, when it’s hot or humid out, we lose the moisture that keeps our limbs soft and supple. And if we don’t replace it, our skin either dries up (after becoming susceptible to an impaired barrier function), or gets too greasy (since it’s stuck in the cycle of oil overproduction).
Nevertheless, the thought of using lotion still sounds as comfortable as wearing a latex suit at the height of summer. That’s why we suggest this surprising alternative: body oil! Typically, we restrict the use of oil to our faces and our hair, because oily stuff is pretty tricky to use if you’re not sure what you’re doing. Having said that, we still think body oil is worth the switch for a couple reasons.
First, an oil sinks into the skin, allowing nutrients to work underneath the surface. At the same time, it acts as a protective buffer between your pelt and the elements by locking in moisture like a shield.
Second, an oil offers intense hydration. This is why it was the “original lotion” for ancient civilizations! Once you slather it on, you’ll notice that it’s super lightweight, not heavy or ultra-rich like a cream-based formula. That’s what makes it so Philippine-friendly, in our opinion.
Best of all, oil does more than just hydrate. Depending on which oil you use, you can address a slew of skin needs from sagging skin and cellulite to plain old stress.
1. Davines Authentic Nourishing Oil, P1,000 - This luxurious oil can be used for both skin and hair! Enjoy a blend of carthame oil, jojoba oil, sesame oil, and sunflower oil—all organic.
2. Lift’Argan Divine Dry Oil, P1,931 - The argan oil in this mix helps lift sagging skin and diminish fine lines. It also gets you firm and radiant with the help of prickly pear seed oil, Barbary fig oil, rose oil, and date palm oil.
3. Nelly De Vuyst Oleaslim Oil, P3,035 - This Belgian blend uses coffee extracts to minimize cellulite and tighten up your skin. It also contains essential oils of lavender, sage, pine juniper, peppermint, soy protein, and wheat germ.
4. The Souq Cellulite Firming Oil, on sale at P1,080 - Another anti-cellulite elixir, this local find can be massaged over your problem spots to smoothen out unsightly dimples.
5. Harnn Sensual Bath & Massage Oil, P880 - A Thai favorite with therapeutic benefits, this bottle uses oils from rice bran and oranges to soothe your mind and body. Beyond the moisture boost, it’ll also calm frayed nerves and help you sleep better.
6. Zenutrients Stress Relief Massage Oil, P358 - This masseuse must-have nourishes the pelt while allaying stress. It’s made with organic grapefruit, verbena, and coconut oils.
7. Michael Kors Liquid Shimmer Dry Oil Spray, P3,614 - Leave it to us to toss some “body makeup” into the mix! This dry oil is flecked with pearls to make your skin glow, but it also doubles as a zesty scent.
Photos by Erika Gue