Picture vitamin C, and chances are you’ll associate it with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. While it does make a healthy addition to your breakfast, it nourishes our body in different ways. From strengthening the immune system to improving your skin, here’s everything you need to know about vitamin C.
THE BENEFITS OF VITAMIN C
1. It boosts immunity. Ever felt like you were coming down with something, and you relied on vitamin C to pull you out of it? Yes, we’ve all been there. Known to be a natural antioxidant, vitamin C protects the body from the damage of harmful molecules called free radicals. It also strengthens your body’s natural defenses, which results in a stronger immune system and enhanced body resistance. Remember: prevention is better than cure. Incorporating Vitamin C in your daily regimen is a much better practice than depending on it to cure you of sickness.
2. It improves your skin. No skincare regimen is complete without the use of a vitamin C product. Primarily infused in face serums and under-eye creams, vitamin C stands as a natural brightener, helping lighten pigmentation and stubborn dark spots while maintaining a healthy, youthful complexion. That’s because vitamin C stimulates collagen production that keeps our body tissues young and healthy. As a result, it combats signs of aging and prevents the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
3. It prevents iron deficiencies. Iron and Vitamin C make up a dynamic vitamin duo. Iron plays a key role in forming red blood cells and transporting oxygen throughout the body. With the help of Vitamin C, it supplements the absorption of iron from your food and converts it into a form that is easily absorbed by the body. This reduces the risk of anemia and fatigue among iron-deficient individuals.
4. It protects the heart. Vitamin C will protect that heart of yours. Diets high in vitamin C are associated with improved cardiovascular health, together with a reduced risk for stroke and heart disease. Whether or not you have high blood pressure, consuming Vitamin C helps relax blood vessels and maintain a stable blood pressure level.
5. It aids in eye sharpness. Did you know that our eyes contain a high level of vitamin C concentration? Consistently consuming Vitamin C reduces the risk of getting cataracts and age-related lens degradations. Say hello to clearer, sharper vision!
6. It aids in better memory. Aging can affect our thinking capacity and memory, which can result in a disease called Dementia. High vitamin C intake through food or supplements are proven to have a protective effect on the brain and improve cognitive abilities. It’s even better when paired with equally high levels of vitamin E, as research shows that it can help prevent the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
THE RIGHT WAY TO CONSUME VITAMIN C
Being a water-soluble vitamin, consuming the right amount of vitamin C is crucial because taking more than what your body needs equate to endless bathroom visits. For adults, the recommended daily amount is 65 to 90mg, with the maximum limit at 2,000mg. Though it’s best to consume vitamin C through the food we eat, supplements can also aid your daily intake.
One common misconception is the assumption that you can consume as much vitamin C as you can since you’ll just pee it all out—well, that’s fake news. Though Vitamin C is indeed an essential nutrient, it is possible to have too much of it, which can cause diarrhea, headache, vomiting, and heartburn. Proper dosage is always important!
THE WAYS TO TAKE VITAMIN C
Now that you know all the advantages of Vitamin C in your overall wellness, it’s time to incorporate it into your lifestyle! Since our bodies cannot produce vitamin C alone, our task is to consume it either in foods that naturally contain it or are fortified with it. Think bright-colored fruits and veggies! Undoubtedly oranges stand as the prime source of vitamin C, but other citrus fruits such as strawberries, grapefruits, kiwis, and pineapples also have high vitamin C content. For veggies, think red and green bell peppers, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and tomatoes.
Though let’s face it: incorporating vitamin C in our meals can be a real challenge. Dietary supplements and multivitamins stand as lifesavers so you can still get that daily dose of energy. There are tons of variations readily available: whether it’s infused in a capsule, mixed with other vitamins and minerals, flavored, or even through a gummy snackable.
A recommended dosage of 500 to 1000mg can supplement your existing diet. But you should never rely on one vitamin to keep you energized the whole day. Rather, maintaining a balanced diet packed with a multitude of vitamins and minerals is key to a healthy lifestyle.
Do you need to stock up on vitamin C? Check out our Immunity Supplements collection here.
To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!
Like us on Facebook.
Follow us on Instagram (@beautymnl).
Tweet us on Twitter (@beauty_MNL).
Watch us on YouTube.
The BeautyMNL App is also available for iOS and Android! For Apple devices, download it on mobile here. For Android devices, download it on mobile here. Stay tuned for updates and app-exclusive promos!