In this day and age, it can be hard to find balance—and when you’re in a highly stressful environment, overthinking, fatigue, and depression may get in the way. But luckily, there are ways to keep up and make sure that your life stays on track.
Case in point: stress management. Stress management is a set of self-help tools, techniques, and therapies that can help you deal with the stressors you encounter on a day-to-day basis. How you manage your stress differs from person to person since not all people experience the same levels and amounts of stress. But it ultimately boils down to controlling your life and making sure that you can tackle your problems head-on.
With your life in control, you’ll have more time to juggle work, recreation, and relationships, while bouncing back and forth from things that may strain you without sacrificing your health and well-being. Ready? Below are 5 tips and tricks to help you do just that:
5 WAYS TO MANAGE STRESS
1. Identify your stressors. Stress is an inevitable part of our daily lives, but once we get to know what our stressors are and where they’re coming from, things can get easier and more manageable. You can identify your stressors by keeping a journal, or just by simply talking to someone you trust. To keep track of your stressors, observe a specific activity that puts you under high pressure, and jot down your body’s response when you dealt with that situation. Once you successfully identify these things, you can attack your stressors better by engaging in activities that can help you relax, recover, and prepare for your next challenge.
2. Keep moving! Studies have shown that people who exercise regularly exhibit more signs of a happy life. Those who slack off and seldom engage themselves in physical activities are at a higher risk of developing depression from a highly stressful lifestyle. Exercise releases endorphins (more popularly known as the hormone responsible for our feelings of optimism) and eliminates the main stress hormones, adrenaline, and cortisol.
Simple exercises such as yoga and tai chi can elicit the same response from your body as it would when you run or do cardio—plus, it relaxes your mind.
3. Stress eat the healthy way. We know that stress can affect the way you live your day-to-day life, but there’s no excuse when it comes to eating right for your body. You’ve probably heard of stress eating and how therapeutic it can be, but don’t let its “benefits” fool you. This unhealthy way of eating can wreak havoc on your body’s equilibrium and damage your health in the long run. Don’t be mistaken, though! You can stress-eat healthy way by choosing wholesome snacks instead.
4. Rank your priorities. You might think that 24 hours a day and seven days a week aren’t enough to accomplish the tasks you have. But with a proper schedule, you’ll be surprised to discover that you have a lot of time on your hands. Rank your priorities according to urgency or difficulty and work on them systematically. That way, you’ll be able to set aside things that don’t need urgent attention and use your energy for other activities to help you balance out your most stressful days.
5. Get enough sleep. Getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep per day is your body’s best weapon against stress and over-fatigue. Getting enough rest not only benefits your mental and emotional state but also allows for proper physical healing from the bad effects that your body might have incurred from too much stress. If you are accustomed to working late and sleeping less, this habit might be difficult to develop. But worry not, because there are products in the market that can help you overcome your sleeping issues and regulate your body clock.
TIP: If stressful situations deprive you of getting enough rest, try taking supplements that can help induce sleep, like melatonin.
Looking for more on stress relief? Stock up on all your well-being essentials right here. To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!
Like us on Facebook.
Follow us on Instagram (@beautymnl).
Tweet us on Twitter (@beauty_MNL).
Watch us on YouTube.
The BeautyMNL App is also available for iOS and Android! For Apple devices, download it on mobile here. For Android devices, download it on mobile here. Stay tuned for updates and app-exclusive promos!