To keep yourself in tip-top shape, you need to eat a balanced diet of carbohydrates, greens, and protein. But with a busy schedule, you may not always have the time to eat the right kinds of food. Eventually, the lack of fruits and veggies, paired with day-to-day stress and pure exhaustion, will take a toll on your body. Yikes!
Well, here’s a quick, hassle-free alternative you can take. Meet the multivitamin: a tablet filled with all the nutrients you need to keep yourself healthy. All you need to do is pop it in your mouth, swallow, and begin your day. Get to know this little wonder below!
WHAT IS A MULTIVITAMIN?
In case its name didn’t tip you off, multivitamins contain many kinds of vitamins and minerals, all intended to supplement your dietary needs. These pills are your ticket to getting the essentials your body needs for growth, maintenance, or even just for regulating your bodily functions.
Multivitamins may even come with extra ingredients, like a mix of amino acids, fatty acids, and herbs. For vegans or those with dietary restrictions, a few are specially made with 100% plant-based, all-natural ingredients.
The tablet is the most popular variation, but multivitamins can take many forms: liquids, powders, and capsules are just the tip of the iceberg. Some brands even offer an appealing option of chewables or gummies for kids (and adults!).
So, are all multivitamins the same? Well, no. For one thing, there isn’t a clear standard as to how much of each nutrient goes into them. Different brands and labels have their own nutrient composition going on for their specific multivitamin. Plus, people of all ages have different dietary requirements, so it’s impossible to create a universal pill that caters to everyone. Lucky for us, that leaves us with plenty of options!
WHO NEEDS MULTIVITAMINS?
The short answer: anyone who is nutrient-deficient. Multivitamins come tailor-fit for different consumers based on age, sex, and special needs. Here’s a lightning-quick breakdown of the four most common demographics for multivitamins:
1. PRENATAL AND BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS. Got a bun in the oven? Maybe it’s time to add a multivitamin to your daily schedule. You will definitely need more calcium, folic acid, iron, and iodine in your diet to aid in your baby’s development!
2. DIABETICS. One important thing to look out for if you’re managing diabetes is the amount of folic acid you’re ingesting daily. Your immune system would love the help!
3. VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS. If you’ve cut out meat from your mealtimes, you may be deficient in B-12—a vitamin found mostly in animal products. You may even lack omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and iron, among other nutrients that most plant-based diets are typically short on.
4. EXHAUSTED WORKER BEES. “Work is life,” so you often settle for fast food and instant ramen because it’s convenient. These may fill your belly, but they simply can’t give you all the nutrients your body needs in the long run. Multivitamins can help re-balance your diet, but take note: they’re no substitute for healthy eating habits!
SHOULD YOU TAKE MULTIVITAMINS?
The purpose of multivitamins is to fill in any nutritional gaps you may have in your diet. After all, they contain the common vitamins and minerals that one may be in desperate need of, such as Vitamins A, C, and E, along with calcium and magnesium. This means that you take them only when you are deficient in essential nutrients. Too much of anything can be a bad thing, too, so be sure to only take the prescribed amount.
Multivitamins help promote overall health and well-being, keeping your body at its peak. But remember: multivitamins are not a cure-all! Rather, they help prevent diseases only to a certain extent. Nothing beats well-balanced meals and proper exercise—but multivitamins can help you out in a pinch.
WHEN SHOULD YOU START TAKING MULTIVITAMINS?
If you have a generally healthy lifestyle, good for you! If not, make sure to take your multivitamins daily. Most multivitamins are taken once or twice a day. But like with all supplements, make sure to read the label first and follow the recommended daily dosage.
In order to figure out what kind of multivitamin you should be taking, it’s important to first pay attention your habits and its health effects (good or bad!). There’s no specific age that determines when you need ‘em, but your body will tell you. Listen to it when it does!
OUR MULTIVITAMIN STARTER PACK
1. Piping Rock Daily Multi With Iron (90 Caplets), P450
These multivitamins come with an added boost of vitamin C and D3 for improved athletic performance, plus iron to prevent anemia. This is highly recommended for vegans and vegetarians, or anyone who might need the benefits of animal protein.
2. Herbs of the Earth Complete Multivitamin Adult Gummies (90 Gummies), P1,350
For the go-getter, these multivitamins are easy to eat and quite tasty, too. They’re gluten-free, non-GMO, and contain all the essential vitamins for a much-needed burst of energy.
3. Health Fusion Multivites for Kids, P599
These all-natural, strawberry-flavored gummies are a tasty chewable alternative for kids. They’re sure to put pep in their step in time for school!
4. Puritan’s Pride ABC Plus Senior Multi-Mineral Formula (60 Capsules), P475
This multivitamin helps prevent diseases caused by aging, while supporting and strengthening the immune system.
To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.
Photos via Shutterstock
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!