Mascara is definitely one of my favorite makeup products. I can’t live without it! It automatically opens up your eyes and makes you look all made up, so it totally compensates for not wearing any other eye makeup. To be honest, even though I have a huge makeup collection, I can actually survive on a tube of mascara, a little lipstick, and something to fill in my brows! Here are my top mascara tips, in under three minutes:
BASIC MASCARA APPLICATION
TIP 1: Make sure your eyelashes are completely dry before you curl them. The drier the lashes, the stronger the curl.
TIP 2: Make sure you get each and every eyelash while curling. You want one solid curl formation so that the effects of your mascara actually show.
TIP 3: When you apply mascara, use a wiggling motion to ensure each lash gets coated in product. Start from the base of your lashes and work your way up to the tips. This will keep your lashes from “dropping,” which happens when the mascara is only applied to the body of the lashes and not the base.
TIP 4: Use the right mascara. We have so many different kinds available on the market, so you want to make sure you’re applying something fitted to your needs. More on this below!
KINDS OF MASCARAS + MASCARA COCKTAIL
1. Lengthening Mascara. This mascara “stretches” your natural lashes, so they look longer than they usually are. The brushes usually have denser bristles, which allow the mascara to latch onto the lashes, particularly the tips. Lengthening mascara is best for people with short, stubby lashes.
2. Volumizing Mascara. This mascara creates the appearance of fuller, thicker lashes, as it contains a formula of waxes and silicone polymers that is denser than other mascaras. Volumizing mascara is best for people with thin or sparse lashes.
3. Curling Mascara. This mascara enhances the curve of your lashes by holding them. Its The mascara consistency is a little thicker than other types of mascaras, which helps to hold the curl. Curling mascara is best for people with straight, downward-facing lashes.
4. Defining Mascara. This mascara offers both volume and thickness as well as a new component: separation. That means it keeps your lashes from clumping together. The wands are designed to deposit the product very evenly on the lashes, and this delivers beautiful curl and definition. Defining mascara is great for all lash types.
5. Mascara Cocktail. A mascara cocktail is a personalized blend of different types of mascaras. You basically mix and match formulas and layer them one over the other so your lashes get the maximum effect of each. That way, you achieve the exact length, volume, curl, and separation that you desire.
SPECIFIC NEEDS: BCL Cosmetics Browlash EX Lash Sculpture Mascara. It’s by a Japanese brand, but you can easily identify its primary function by the “LONG SEPARATE” label on the tube. I would definitely recommend this mascara to people who have short lashes and hate clumping. It has a comb-like wand that really extends and separates each and every eye lash!
BCL Cosmetics Browlash EX Lash Fiber Mascara. Again, you can easily identify the primary function of this Japanese mascara by its “VOLUME UP FIBER” label. This is perfect for people who want voluminous, fluffy lashes. Not all of us are gifted with that natural falsie look, so this formula will really help!
Worn together, I’d say these two mascaras make the perfect mascara cocktail. You get feathery length, falsie-like volume, and lovely definition.
ALL IN ONE FORMULAS: L’Oreal Paris False Lash Butterfly Mascara. This mascara is one of my all-time favorites. It gives you dense volume, great curl, waterproof wear (even if you swim with this, it won’t budge!), and best of all, it lasts all day. L’Oreal Paris Curl Impact Collagene Mascara. This is a curl-fixing, volume-boosting mascara. That means it really holds the shape of your lashes in place after you’ve pressed a curl into them, and it also makes them look plumper. Take note that this has a wetter formula compared to the False Lash Butterfly Mascara so you’ll need to protect your lid area when you apply it.
Hope my tips helped you make sense of mascara!
False lashes: Lovely, Majestic, Whispering, and Sunburst, all by Seowoo 3S Pre-Glued Lashes.