I’ll be honest: when I decided to take moringa pills (essentially, malunggay in capsule form), I wasn’t expecting much. Sure, I’d seen the literature extolling their health and beauty benefits. But, I also knew that supplements aren’t miracle drugs. Plus, I was only going to do this for a week. How drastic could the changes possibly be?
WHY MORINGA CAPSULES?
Like anyone who likes to casually stalk the #fitspo side of the internet, I’ve seen a lot of buzz around moringa. Those who swear by it claim a lot of things. For starters, it’s supposed to curb your appetite, give you a jolt of energy, and even make your skin look more youthful.
With promises like that, of course my curiosity was piqued. Here’s what I figured: the worst case scenario is nothing happens. After all, the Carica moringa capsules I was going to be taking contain a bunch of antioxidants, vitamins, and amino acids. All good things! The best case scenario: it actually works. Then I would have hit the jackpot.
MY SITUATION BEFORE
With this in mind, I made quick work of fitting these little green capsules into my daily regimen. Carica recommends taking one to three capsules daily, with meals or as needed. I decided to take two a day: one with my lunch and the other with my dinner. I also made sure not to change my diet and exercise routine too much, to see what these babies can really do.
As far as “exercise” goes, I try to squeeze in as much activity as possible for someone working a regular desk job. I walk home everyday, do my morning stretches, and take post-meal strolls whenever I can. Diet-wise, I rely mostly on whole grains for carbs, lean meats for protein, and fruits and veggies for everything else. I don’t begrudge myself the occasional cupcake or pizza slice, either (I’m no saint!), but I keep ‘em to a minimum.
MY SITUATION DURING
Okay, spoiler alert: I did notice a few distinct changes—especially with my appetite and mood. But I mentioned my pre-existing habits and lifestyle because I believe these played a role in how my body processed the moringa supplements. In short, you can’t chug a liter of sugary cola and expect not to crash just because you had it with moringa. Let’s not get too crazy here!
But enough chit-chat—I know you want to know how it all panned out. Here’s what this 7-day experiment taught me about the moringa life:
1. It helps suppress your appetite. Because of its high nutritional content, moringa helps to naturally curb your cravings. I noticed that it kept me full for longer than usual, and I was rarely tempted to snack between meals. Good news for anyone looking to swerve those hunger pangs!
2. It’s great for boosting your energy levels. I’m sure we’re all familiar with the midday slump. Your brain starts to get a little foggy and you have trouble keeping your eyes open. Throughout the week, though, I had more than enough energy not only to beat the slump, but also to march my tired body home after work.
3. It helps with alertness, focus, and mental clarity. Speaking of brain fog, I noticed that while I was taking these capsules, ideas came to me quicker than usual. I wrote a little faster and was generally more awake throughout the work day—even when I’d had trouble sleeping the previous night.
4. It works best with a generally balanced diet. Like I said, supplements are only there to fill in a few gaps in your day-to-day nutritional intake. There’s still no beating green leafy veggies, protein, and healthy carbs. So for best results, eat as cleanly as possible!
5. It’s not supposed to transform your health overnight. Supplements are also not an adequate substitute for proper medicine. If you’re suffering from serious health issues, don’t rely on moringa capsules—or any kind of supplement, for that matter—to fix you up. At some point during the week, my hyperacidity starting kicking up a fuss. There was nothing moringa could do for me there, but thank god for antacids!
MY SITUATION AFTER
So what’s the verdict? Are moringa capsules going to be the new normal in my diet? Should I keep taking them to see how much more good they can do? Well, it certainly wouldn’t hurt! A week is hardly enough time to really know if you’ve found your match made in supplement heaven. I will say, though, that I’m liking the decrease in snack attacks and mini boosts of energy so far. I’m going to work through the rest of my stash (76 capsules) and see what happens.
The Carica Malunggay Capsules (90 Capsules) is available on BeautyMNL for P385. Shop it right here!
To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!