When insomnia strikes me, it hits hard. Whether it’s stress or the extra cup of coffee at 4P.M., I’ve had my share of sleepless nights. Waking up sluggish, however, is the least of my worries. A study according the Harvard Medical School found that a lack of sleep leads to a multitude of problems, such as weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, and more. Yikes!
This information might be enough to worsen your nighttime anxiety. Luckily, there many tried-and-tested ways to help ease you into a state of slumber. Or, you could just take the right foods or drinks before bed.
Yup, you read that right: when you find yourself tossing and turning through the night, reach for one these natural sleep aids as a midnight snack. (I sure did!) Here are 7:
1. ALMONDS Almonds are a source of two sleep-inducing properties: melatonin and magnesium. These nuts have an added benefit of being protein-rich that will help maintain a stable blood sugar level while sleeping, too.
TRY: Healthy Munch Raw Almonds
2. PISTACHIOS Pistachios are very high in an important nutrient known as Vitamin B6. Munching on these can raise your serotonin levels, helping you get a good night’s sleep.
TRY: Manila Superfood Pistachios (50g)
3. GOOD NIGHT DRINK This aptly-named drink was made for a good night indeed. Made from a relaxing blend of natural herbal extracts, lemon balm, and hops, Good Night Drink helps you de-stress and drift off to sleep.
TRY: Good Night Drink
4. TEA It’s no surprise that sipping on a warm cup of tea can help relax you. Chamomile or ginger tea is an age-old remedy for getting better sleep. In addition, ginger can also relieve an upset stomach and fight inflammation.
TRY: Kayumanggi Organic Wild Ginger Tea
5. CASHEWS Cashews are rich in magnesium, a mineral that acts like a natural sedative. If you’re running low on magnesium, chances are you are more prone to having sleep trouble. This deliciously healthy snack can help remedy that!
TRY: Healthy Munch Raw Split Cashews (80g)
6. KALE This nutrient-dense leafy vegetable is packed with vitamins and minerals that support sleep and health in general, such as potassium and calcium! This study proved that having a potassium and calcium-rich diet has an effect on the quality of your sleep!
TRY: Take Root Kale Chips Sour Kream & Chive Flavor
7. PRUNES Most commonly known as treating constipation, prunes can also help you sleep! This fruit contains a lot of ingredients that produces melatonin such as vitamin B6, calcium, and magnesium.
TRY: Trulife Prune Extract
You snack, you snooze!
To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!
Just so you know, we share cookies