Clear, dewy, gorgeous skin—that’s what I would call the Holy Grail of beauty. Even so, I can’t wrap my head around the countless hours (and pesos!) spent on one too many skincare products. I’ve heard and read it all before—the perfect skin trifecta involves cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. But when I think of a regimen packed with cleansers, toners, moisturizers, and all those other creams and scrubs, a self-confessed skincare sloth like me can barely keep track!
Here’s the truth—and I’m a teensy, tiny bit embarrassed to say this—my skincare routine is next to nil. Soap and water? Guilty as charged. But here’s a wake-up call for all of us lazy girls: our skin is the first thing to go. Hello, aging!
Right now, separate day and night routines are far too exhausting for my taste, but I still believe it’s time I put more effort into taking care of my skin. It’s a miracle, really, but I’ve finally started building my skincare battle station. The products in this haul are just the way I like ‘em—not too complicated, gentle on the face, and perfect for skincare newbies-slash-repentant bums like me!
1) Mizon’s Almighty Cold Cream (to remove my lazy girl makeup)
Back in their day, our lolas made do with good ol’ cold cream and nothing else. This classic skin fix has outlived generations, so it will definitely be a staple in my personal starter kit. The thing I like most about cold cream is that it can be used two ways—as a cleanser and as a moisturiser. Yay for multi-taskers!
As a cleanser, I like to spread it smoothly across my skin and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off with a soft cloth. As a moisturiser, I apply it liberally to a just-washed face and let my skin soak up all the hydration. This cream is true to its name—it leaves a cooling sensation which is amazing after a long, tiring day.
2) Shiseido’s Perfect Whip Foam Cleanser (to wash my face like a functioning adult)
Let the skincare gods rejoice! After years in a rut, I’ve ditched the soap and discovered this foaming facial cleanser! It’s a bit different from traditional cleansers as it starts out as a very dense cream—sort of like toothpaste? With a bit of water (and a little elbow grease), it whips into a light, fluffy cloud you’ll be dying to sink your face into. Rub it into your skin with gentle circular motions to sweep away the day’s dirt and grime!
3) Tony Moly’s Peeling Me Aloe Soothing Peeling Gel (to get rid of my dead skin)
The term “peeling gel” has always made me nervous. Blame it on horror stories about women who wake up to flaky red skin after peeling treatments gone wrong! Thankfully, this Korean potion promises to be a hypoallergenic, water-based exfoliator, gentle enough for regular use. I love that it isn’t just a deep pore cleanser (bye-bye, blackheads), but it’s also made with aloe vera to soothe, calm, and protect irritated skin.
4) Skinfood’s Deep Sea Water Brightening Multi-Toner (to pamper my un-dead skin)
I’ve always been clueless about toner (haven’t we all?). I mean, why should I even use it? After some (not so) tedious Googling, I’ve narrowed it down to three reasons:
- Toner shrinks pores (yay!) The one that I’m using is by Skinfood, and it tightens your pores after all that cleansing and exfoliating action. Not only will it give your face an almost poreless appearance, it also limits the risk of developing any more unsightly blemishes! Prevention > cure.
- Toner refreshes skin! My skin definitely needs a lot of refreshing, especially in this climate of ours. Used as a hydrating mist or in lieu of a cleanser (thank God, a shortcut), toner can wipe away any excess grime and impurities that remain even after you’re done exfoliating.
- Toner moisturizes! Some cleansers, even the best ones, tend to strip moisture from your skin along with the dirt. What toner does is help bind that moisture to your skin to it stays soft. What sold me on this one is that it’s even enriched with minerals (ooh, minerals) to keep your complexion bright!
5) Aloe Derma’s Daily Moisturizing Cream (to get my soft ‘n’ supple on)
While my normally lazy self would skip moisturizer, I know how vital it is to any regimen. If there’s any step you should never skip, in fact, it’s moisturizing (sorry, skin). The ingredients list alone sold me on this daily cream—aloe vera, jojoba seed oil, witch hazel water, lavender essence, and so on. It’s definitely ideal for everyday use, especially if your skin type dry and sensitive, like mine!
6) Tony Moly’s Timeless Ferment Snail Lip Treatment (to keep my lips smooth)
Okay, I used to shudder at the thought of anything infused with snail slime. Ewww. But I’ve been hearing great things about the original snail skincare range from Tony Moly. The lip treatment is an intense moisturizer that battles dryness and cracking of the lips. A little research will tell you it contains anti-aging ingredients, too, for a smooth and healthy pucker (minus the silicone). So, yeah, #YOLO.
7) Leaders InSolution’s AC Dressing Spot Patch (for acne attacks)
Is there anything more horrendous than finding a big, nasty bump? A quick fix would be to use a spot patch formulated with tea tree oil, nature’s zit zapper. Just stick it over your spot at bedtime and leave it for 8 to 12 hours to work its magic. Goodbye, pimple!
My skincare drawer is stocked, and my lazy girl inside is sighing, but here’s to hoping I finally wake up to skin that looks almost Photoshopped!
Photos courtesy of Rosanna Aranaz