It’s hard to believe Lovi Poe indulges in cheat meals. With a midsection as rock hard as hers, you would think the only things she eats is salad or steamed chicken. A look at the Pinay beauty’s IG page, however, proves otherwise. Like us, Lovi cannot resist a chocolate chip cookie or the occasional plate of pasta.

So how is it that she keeps her abs intact and we can’t? According to an interview with PEP.ph, Lovi follows the 80/20 diet.

THE 80/20 DIET

If you haven’t heard of the 80/20 diet yet, the concept is pretty simple: eat clean 80% of the time, and indulge your cravings the other 20%. And compared to plans such as keto or Paleo, no ingredients are off the proverbial table. (Yes, ladies, you can have your cake and eat it, too!)

That said, the 80/20 diet may not seem like a “diet” at all. Still, it is important to practice moderation and portion control. Just because the aforementioned 20 percent is for indulgences doesn’t mean you should eat an entire pizza to yourself—it just doesn’t work that way.

HOW TO PRACTICE THE 80/20 DIET THE RIGHT WAY

While this diet is certainly more flexible than others, there are still a few rules you should live by.

For example, if you’re aiming to consume only 2,000 calories a day, then you have about 400 calories of wiggle room. But this doesn’t mean your “throw-away calories” should be wasted on food with zero nutritional value. And you most certainly don’t need to use all 20 percent. In fact, it’s probably best to shoot lower than 20 percent because—and let’s admit it—most of us often underestimate how much food we really eat.

As a general rule of thumb: every bite, whether it’s in the 80 or 20 percentage category, should nourish the body with vitamins and nutrients. To better put things into perspective, here’s an example of what someone following the 80/20 diet would eat in a day.

A ONE-DAY MEAL PLAN FOR THE 80/20 DIET


BREAKFAST: AVOCADO EGG TOAST

  • 1 slice Ezekial bread
  • 1 tsp. butter
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 egg
  • Sprinkle of walnuts

SNACK

  • 3/4 cup cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup pineapple

LUNCH: SALMON SALAD

  • 1/2 cup diced cucumber
  • 6 cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup chickpeas
  • 3 oz. salmon
  • 1 cup arugula
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil and lemon juice (for dressing)

DINNER: CHICKEN BREAST

  • 4 oz. chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cup steamed broccoli

DESSERT

  • 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted
  • 3 large strawberries

If you start the 80/20 diet and learn to love the 80 percent, then great! You won’t be dying for the 20 percent. But, still, and to quote Lovi, “it’s nice to indulge yourself every once in a while.” After all, balance is key to sticking to a diet plan and reaching your goals, whether it’s achieving rock hard abs like Lovi’s or just feeling your best.

To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.

For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!