If you’ve ever engaged a health nut in conversation, this will probably sound familiar: the food you put into your body can either be a powerful healer or a slow-working poison. And it’s true. Studies show that a bad diet is one of the biggest contributors to accelerated aging. Stuffing yourself with processed junk food and guzzling sugar-loaded sodas actually degrades the quality of your skin and teeth over time. Meaning, unfortunately, you’ll look older, faster.
Lucky for us, we can consume stuff that has the exact opposite effect—like a green power smoothie! If you’re determined to keep drinking from the fountain of youth, start your mornings (or end your days) with something like this:
• 1 cup of coconut water
• 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
• 1 apple (green or red, depending on your preference)
• 1 carrot
• 1 banana
• 1 1/2 cups of kale (leaves only)
• 1/2 cup of ice
• up to 2 scoops of whey protein powder (your preferred flavor)
1) Chop up the apple, carrot, and banana. Place into a blender.
2) Add kale leaves.
3) Pour coconut water, lemon juice, and ice into the blender. For an extra boost, add 1 to 2 scoops of whey protein powder.
4) Blend together.
5) Pour the smoothie into your favorite cup and get sipping!
This fruit-and-veg mix is packed with nutrients and antioxidants that help your skin fight wrinkles, increase sun protection, and regulate cell growth. All you need is a blender and a tall glass, and you’ve got your daily age-slowing elixir waiting to be consumed. Nom!
Photo: via Shutterstock