We’re not going to beat around the bush here: the answer is YES. In fact, if there was only one piece of advice we could offer you and nothing else, it would be to wear sunscreen religiously, rain or shine. The sun is everywhere. There is no escaping its rays—not when you’re under an umbrella, not when you’re wearing a hat, not even when you’re “safely” indoors. #Fact
The most obvious effect of UVA/UVB exposure? Premature wrinkles. Harmful UV light breaks down the skin’s elastin—the very thing that keeps your pelt plump and prevents stretching and sagging. You can use all the wrinkle cream in the world, but it won’t erase your sunscreen-skipping sins.
The consequences of sun exposure are not only on a surface level, mind you. All the cells that make up our skin have the capacity to mutate—and that goes for sun-damaged cells, too. When these “diseased” skin cells regenerate, they no longer contain collagen, which is what gives the skin its youthful suppleness. On top that, these cells produce oxidants, which in turn can produce free radicals and further damage the skin! We don’t want to go all Mom on you, but this is exactly how melanoma (skin cancer) starts.
The moral of the story: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Keep a broad spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF30 on hand at all times. And when it comes to application, be generous and diligent! Ten years from now, your wrinkle-free, healthy-complected self will thank us.
Start your sun-protected life with one of the suggestions below!
1. Céleteque Sun Care SPF50 Face and Body Cream, P499 - A proudly local, hydrating sun cream with UVA/UVB filters for double sunscreen protection.
2. Nuganic Sunblock SPF50+, P1,900 - A gentle Korean sunscreen that protects against the sun and environmental pollutants.
3. Bioré UV Perfect Face Milk SPF50+ PA++++, P380 - An ultra-light sun lotion for superior UV protection sans the sticky feeling.
4. VMV Hypoallergenics Armada Face Cover 45, P1,045 - A Filipino-made sun cream with anti-aging ingredients that improve the skin’s texture over time.
5. Neutrogena UV Waterlight Lotion SPF50+, P474 - A lightweight sunblock that fights ultraviolet rays while brightening the complexion at once.
Art by Erika Gue
Just so you know, we share cookies