Rise and shine, beautiful! Here’s everything you need to know about beauty on this fine Monday morning.
1. Hot on the heels of strobing comes another contouring technique, courtesy of the Internet. Believe it or not, this one’s called “baking,” (or “cooking”) and has long been employed by drag queens as a highlighting hack. Celeb makeup artist Mario Dedivanovic does it for Kim K., apparently!
Baking basically means caking a layer of powder (like Laura Mercier’s Translucent Loose Setting Powder) onto the high points of the face. The powder is then left to sit on the skin (as a cake would sit in an oven) for 10 minutes to half an hour. This allows the product to really sink in, which extends its wear and gives the illusion of poreless skin, before it’s swept off with a makeup brush. Apparently, the end result is a slimmer, fresher, and more defined face. Beauty vlogger Heidi Hamoud demonstrates (starting 8:12):
A word of caution: this technique is not recommended for daily use. Heavy powder can look harsh and cake-y under normal light, so save this trick for special events like graduation pictorials, stage performances, or a special night out!
2. A week ago, the lovely Coleen Garcia posted a selfie showcasing her makeup handiwork. We’re so impressed!
Those Lily Collins-inspired brows, flawless cat-eyes, and perfectly-painted lips prove it: girl’s got major skills!
This reminds us of the time when Kathryn Bernardo posted her very own DIY selfie a few months ago:
So who did it better? We’re calling this one a tie.
3. Doppelganger alert! If you’ve ever (weirdly) wondered what Harry Styles from One Direction would look like in full makeup, we can officially tell you he makes a pretty girl. No, really. A few days ago, Twitter user Abdul sent Directioners into a frenzy when he tweeted a picture of his girlfriend next to a Photoshopped picture of Harry in the same maquillage. Observe:
Uncanny, right? #Twinning
To cop a similar shade of cherry red, we suggest NYX’s Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo (if you’re on a budget) or NARS’ Pure Matte Lipstick in Vesuvio (if you’re rolling in dough).
4. While we’re riding the 1D train, here’s the commercial for the mega boyband’s upcoming fragrance, Between Us. This is, like, the cutest video ever.
Between Us is a fragrance for women and marks One Direction’s fourth concoction in the world of perfume. According to the press release, the fragrance features fruity top notes of Mandarin Essence, Italian Orpur Nutmeg Essence, and Indonesia Apricot Flesh; a soft, floral heart of Freesia, Gardenia, and Solar Jasmine Accord; and a dry, warm base of Patchouli Essence from Indonesia, Vanilla Essence from Madagascar and Golden Amber Accord. And, if you watch the video, Niall’s precious tears appear to be the pièce de résistance. #Fancy
5. Finally, in case you didn’t catch the BET Awards, check out our fave beauty looks from the red carpet below. Morenas, you don’t want to miss this!
Girl crush, much? The ageless Gabrielle Union rocked a sassy Egyptian cat-eye and berry lip. #BringItOn
Ever the chameleon, 18-year-old Zendaya showed up to the event with a brand-new pixie cut.
Tinashe exuded elegance in peach and neutral tones. She reminds us so much of the late Aaliyah!
And of course, there was our girl RiRi, who went for soft, soft makeup and a swishy ponytail.
Told you long ponies were in!
Credit: Instagram photos from @makeupbymario, @coleengarcia, @bernardokath, @gabunion, @zendaya, @tinashenow, and @badgalriri (1, 2). Videos via YouTube: Heidi Hamoud, One Direction Channel. Screencap of Abdul’s tweet: @advil on Twitter.