Ask A Derma: Do Diamond Peels Actually Use Real Diamonds?
Got a skinquiry? Trust in a certified dermatologist to give you all the facts. In Ask a Derma, we take your skin-related questions straight to the experts. The pool of doctors we consult with hail from the top skin clinics and centers in the metro. With their years of experience in dermatology and aesthetic medicine, you’re getting the best beauty advice for your face. So email your concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll ask our dermas!
THIS WEEK’S SKINQUIRY
Via: “How exactly do diamond peels work? Do they involve real diamonds? And do they hurt? What should you know before getting a diamond peel?”
THIS WEEK’S DERMA
NAME: Martha Joy M Bruan-Tapales, RPh, MD, DPDS
CLINIC: Aryana Aesthetic Center (San Juan)
DR. MARTHA SAYS: A diamond peel works like microdermabrasion. It is a mechanical procedure that removes the stratum corneum or the dead skin cells layer of the epidermis. It is non-invasive and exfoliates the skin to make it smoother, brighter, and more even in color. They should involve real diamonds, because that’s how they differ from regular microdermabrasion.
In terms of pain, it shouldn’t hurt, but you may feel a pulling sensation due to the suction component of the instrument.
Before undergoing microdermabrasion (or diamond peel as well), the American Academy of Dermatology recommends that you ask the following questions:
1. Who will perform the microdermabrasion?
2. What results can I expect?
3. How many treatments will I need to get these results?
4. What are the potential side effects?
5. Do I have a higher risk for any side effects?
6. May I see before-and-after photos of patients who have been treated with microdermabrasion?
7. How much will the treatment cost?
THE SIGNATURE FACIAL WITH PRISTINE DIAMOND PEEL MICRODERMABRASION
Dr. Martha is associated with the Aryana Aesthetic Center, a beauty haven situated in the heart of San Juan. Their signature facial? An exfoliating treatment with a diamond peel that’ll get you glowing—fast. This service delivers noticeably brighter and smoother skin, just in time for your holiday festivities!
Here’s what you can expect during the 1-hour pampering session:
• Deep cleanse and facial massage
• Facial steaming and extraction
• Pore-tightening with high frequency facial wand
• Soothing mask
• The Pristine Diamond Peel Microdermabrasion
Their microdermabrasion treatment uses 100% real hypoallergenic diamond tips. Thanks to its gentle feel, it’s suitable for all skin types. For best results, the clinic recommends treating your skin with this service twice a month!
The Signature Facial with Pristine Diamond Peel Microdermabrasion is available at Aryana Aesthetic Center. Exclusive BeautyMNL Price: 50% OFF at P750. Buy this treatment here.
Length of practice: 4.5 years
- University of the Philippines, College of Pharmacy (Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, 2006)
- Doctor of Medicine, University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center (Medical Degree, 2010)
To browse our complete assortment of skin treatments and other fabulous beauty services, visit our Makeovers & More Tab.
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!