The air-dried look is one of the most alluring hair trends of 2016 because it puts a super-spin on wash-and-go. There is a fine line to tread between “effortless” and looking like a bruha who just rolled out of bed—and air-drying just nails it. Take your cue from 8 stars who’ve mastered the art of breezy, beautiful bedheads, below!
1. Julia Barretto has chopped off her locks in favor of a shoulder-length, no-fuss cut. To keep your tousled ‘do just as a smooth, remember to use conditioner (and use it often).
2. For a piecy yet polished approach à la Solenn Heussaff, your best bet is a great pomade. Pick up a flexible formula for touchable texture.
3. Cop Lovi Poe’s textural tresses by misting damp hair with sea salt spray and braiding it loosely. This method prevents hair from puffing up as it dries, so you get nice, neat bends.
4. If you’re working with dense hair like Selena Gomez, style it wet with a cream. You’ll be amazed at the smoothness and shape a thick formula can lend your mane once it dries.
5. Once in a while, Liz Uy loosens up her wet look—and we love it. If you also have short hair, texurize it with dry shampoo! Spritz your roots and rub the product right in for an effect we’re calling “cool Cali girl.”
6. Oh, Jess Connelly, your hair puts the perfect in imperfect. By slathering mousse all over damp hair and scrunching it dry, mere mortals may also achieve this messy-chic mop.
7. The irresistible thing about Andi Eigenmann’s hair is the off-the-beach grit in it. No tangles, mind you! Get the look by using a leave-in conditioner—which, BTW, will also come in handy to tame unruly dry sections.
8. And now, for our cheat sheet: if all else fails, make like Shay Mitchell and wind a curling wand through your bedhead. This will neaten your nest without completely removing those sweet little wisps. (We won’t tell if you don’t!)