Spritzing liquid all over your face for the sake of beauty is hardly breaking news. But facial sprays have had a second coming thanks to their cult status in Korean skincare. In certain circles, misting is considered as essential as sun protection!
The very first bottles of facial mist were purist ones, and their purpose straightforward. You could choose either a mineral water or thermal water spray, which you would dispense to cool your face in hot weather or hydrate your skin on a long flight.
Today’s mists are hybrids of at least two skincare products and infused with essential oils, vitamins, and/or minerals to treat specific issues. Most new-gen facial sprays have toning, moisturizing, and makeup-fixing functions, with some even going the extra mile to fight acne and skin-aging. One more thing: you are encouraged to use these babies with abandon!
Here are some of our top picks for 2016:
1. Banila Co. Prime Primer Makeup Fixer Finish & Fix, P865 – Part of the iconic Prime Primer line, this setting spray seals your makeup in place and keeps your skin from oiling up. It also contains bamboo and cypress extracts that have a dewy, luminous effect on the complexion.
2. Pixi by Petra Makeup Fixing Mist, P950 – Laced with rosewater (a misting mainstay) and antioxidant green tea, this refreshing spray stops makeup from moving, melting, or settling into creases.
3. Innisfree Green Tea Mineral Mist, P950 – A cocktail of volcanic bedrock water and 100% organic green tea makes this nourishing spray a summer staple. No flaky, dehydrated faces here.
4. Holika Holika Vita Up! Facial Water Mist, P355 – The Orange variant is our fave because it resurrects dull complexions (there’s also a Violete for dewiness and a Green for “calming”). All three contain Hita Tenryosui water: prized Japanese aqua that gives your skin an instant boost.
5. Céleteque Hydration Hydrolized Moisturizing Mist, P140 – You can spritz this Fuji water-infused formula over naked skin or full makeup. The hydration hit is undeniable—your smoother, suppler face will be a testament to that.
6. Mizon Snail Repair Hydro Mist, P675 – If you plan to mist your way to the fountain of youth, here’s where to start. Even the finest veil of this stuff contains 90% snail mucine, which combats fine lines, scarring, and blemishes.
7. Beauty Bakery Witch Hazel Facial Mist, P265 – Zit-prone? Don’t pop—just spray. This all-natural, locally-made mist uses witch hazel water and tea tree extract to ward off bad bacteria.
Once you’ve settled on your must-have mist, here’s how to use it:
1. Shake the bottle.
2. Hold it 5 to 10 inches away from your face (consult packaging for specifics).
3. Spritz the product liberally in an X formation.
4. Let the product set for a minute. Blot all excess.
5. Repeat whenever you feel like it—all day, every day, perhaps?
Photo of woman: Shutterstock. GIF: WishtrendTV. Art by Erika Gue.
Just so you know, we share cookies