6 Common Questions About Eyelash Curling, Answered!
Got a lash question? We’re answering half a dozen of the most common queries, right here!
1. HOW DO I USE AN EYELASH CURLER?
- Start with clean, dry eyelashes. Fit the curler over the base of your lashes and press for 5 seconds, counting slowly. One-one-thousand, two-one-thousand…
- To get a really natural curl (not a crimp), press the curler over the base of your lashline and keep pressing upwards until you reach the tips.
2. WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO APPLY MASCARA?
- Look down. Lowering your eyelids puts your lashes in the best position for mascara application.
- Hold the wand of your mascara horizontally and position the brush at the base of your lashes. Rather than swiping it on in one smooth movement, wiggle the brush from side to side, working upwards until the tip. This way, each eyelash gets a sufficient coating of product.
- Two coats of mascara yield the best results! Allow your lashes to dry in between applications.
3. SHOULD I PUT MASCARA ON MY LOWER LASHES?
- Yup, especially now that thick, fluffy, eye-opening lashes are in full force.
- When applying mascara to your lower lashes, follow the same steps mentioned above—but don’t go all the way to the ends! To ensure the mascara won’t transfer to the skin underneath your eyes, just apply it as close as possible to your lower lashline and lift the brush away. You’ll still get the definition you desire, minus the mess.
4. WHICH FORMULA IS BEST FOR ME?
- Volumizing mascara gives you density, lengthening mascara gives you stretch, curling mascara gives you hold and shape, and defining mascara gives you clump-free separation. Most mascaras come in both washable and waterproof formulas.
- Use a “cocktail” of mascaras to get the fullest, thickest, curliest lashes possible. Translation: layer your formulas depending on your ideal lash look. For instance, we love the “falsie” effect produced by a coat of volume-boosting mascara followed by a coat of lash-extending mascara. Read more here: How to Make a Mascara Cocktail
5. EYELASH CURLERS ARE TOO TRICKY. IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE?
- Believe it or not, you can use a spoon to curl your lashes. Weird, right? Supermodel Miranda Kerr does it!
- Here’s how: Position the edge of the spoon against your lashes. You’ll know you’re doing it right if the rounded back of the spoon is touching your eyelid. Then, use your fingertip to press your lashes against the spoon’s edge. Depending on how wide a patch of lashes your fingertip can press at a time, you’ll probably have to do this in segments. Repeat until you’ve curled all your lashes. Then, apply mascara!
6. I HAVE REALLY SHORT LASHES. WILL THEY ACTUALLY CURL?
- Absolutely. There is no “length limit” when it comes to curling your lashes. You won’t necessarily get the full, feathery volume of a Kim Kardashian (who also uses falsies, BTW!), but you will see a noticeable difference made by a good curler and a fail-safe mascara formula.
- If you want to go a step further, we suggest giving special lengthening treatments like NutraLuxe Lash MD or DHC Eyelash Tonic a go. Lash serums are formulated to enhance your natural lashes, so all you’ll need to do once they grow out is give ‘em a press with your lash curler. Done!
Photo of Miranda Kerr by Ahmad Fauzi Abdullah via Wikimedia Commons. GIFs via Giphy.com / BeautyMNL.