20 Eats & Drinks That Clear Up Your Skin
Can you snack your way to spot-free skin? Our research says yes. For a smoother, clearer complexion, sample these pimple-busting edibles and drinkables. The best part is you’ll never go hungry for the love of your skin!
1. Kale. This leafy green has been lauded time and time again for being a “superfood”—and you can count skin-perfecting as one of its myriad powers.
2. Green Tea. Suffering from a ruby-red zit or a bout of rosacea? Green tea is an antioxidant gold mine that brings down redness and swelling.
3. Dark Berries. Speaking of antioxidants, you can also get a good dose from dusky-hued fruits like raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Besides being a great snack, dark berries help clear toxins from troubled skin.
4. Sunflower Seeds. A couple handfuls of this stuff are all you’ll need for your recommended daily intake of Vitamin E. And in case you didn’t know, Vitamin E helps fends off the inflammation that leads to a bad zit-uation.
5. Beetroot. A skin super-healer, the gorgeously purple beetroot detoxifies not only your pelt but your entire body! Here’s exactly what you’re getting with each mouthful: vitamins A and E, potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Yum.
6. Avocado. Renowned as the richest, creamiest, fattiest fruit ever, avocado is actually beneficial to your complexion! Its Vitamin C content decreases swelling, while its natural oils fine-tune skin texture as well as tone.
7. Sardines. These salty little fishies are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly DHA and EPA—each of which having a potent anti-inflammatory effect. Eat a few of these for lunch with brown rice if you’ve got a particularly angry, juicy zit.
8. Salmon. Different fish, same skin-healing benefits! Just like sardines, pretty pink salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids that soothe breakouts and encourage your skin to heal itself.
9. Almond Milk. This is a delicious, non-dairy substitute for cow’s milk—which, if you’ve been keeping up with the health blogs, has been proven to trigger acne and rashes.
10. Red Grapes. Eczema, psoriasis, and even allergic breakouts can be tempered by regularly snacking on red grapes. These sweet clusters are natural antihistamines, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatories that help keep you bump-free.
11. Watercress. This salad staple is another antioxidant you won’t want to skip. A powerful toxin flusher, watercress also gives you potassium, carotene, and manganese in every bite, so it helps cleanse your skin from the inside.
12. Garlic. Bad for your breath, good for your beauty! The allicin in garlic is an effective assassin that eliminates infection-causing bacteria. Oh, and have we mentioned that garlic is another antioxidant?
13. Cottage Cheese. Generously laced with the mineral selenium, which is, of course, an antioxidant, cottage cheese makes for a skin-tastic merienda.
14. Oysters. Studies have shown that people who struggle with acne have a lower-than-usual amount of zinc in their bodies. Lucky for you, this luxury eat is an amazing source of zinc (not to mention, an aphrodisiac).
15. Kidney Beans. These rosy little beans are likewise loaded with zinc, which helps eradicate blemish-causing bacteria.
16. Alfalfa Sprouts. Think of alfalfa as the miniature version of kale. Why? It packs almost the same toxin-clearing cocktail, with healthy treats like folic acid, potassium, manganese, phosphorus, calcium, and zinc, as well as vitamins ACE, B complex, and K. Whoa!
17. Peppermint. Super stressed and breaking out because of it? A mugful of peppermint tea won’t just soothe your nerves—it’ll also clear your sinuses, diminish your headaches, and calm your stress-related acne attack.
18. Chickpeas. These are what hummus is made from! Chickpeas appear very low on the glycemic index—and studies have shown that low glycemic food helps reduce the appearance of swollen red spots.
19. Nettles. Considered a weed in most English gardens, the nettle (or alingatong) packs an anti-inflammatory punch that helps calm acne and eczema.
20. Water. Just like beauty sleep, a tall drink of water is a great healer. Chug down 8 to 10 glasses a day to wash out toxins, excess sodium and sugar, and other acne-aggravating elements that are bloating your pores and body.