A tube of wine red lipstick is our indulgence of choice for Christmas. This decadent hue is a few degrees darker than your trusty cherry, making it the perfect accessory for party season. One slick and you’re a cool-girl muse—two slicks and you’re a femme fatale!
If that isn’t enough to convince you to go to the dark side, this just might. Fact: shades like burgundy, plum, and marsala flatter the full spectrum of Filipina skin tones. So, really, there’s nothing to lose! Our 10 current faves for wine-stained lips, below.
1. MeNow’s Kiss Proof Soft Lipstick in #03, P149 The #03 shade is a blue-based burgundy that would be an awesome addition to any party clutch. Besides its super-staying power and intense color payoff, we’re obsessed with this chubby stick because it doubles as a lipliner! You’ll never have to worry about your lipstick going on uneven again. (Tip: Use this with lots and lots of balm underneath. Trust us.)
2. Lancôme’s L’Absolu Velours in 493 Velours de Violine, P1,495 493 Velours de Violine is a deep berry hue that glides on with ease, dries semi-matte, and transitions from day to night. When it starts to fade (and that’ll take a while), touch-ups aren’t necessary. This liquid lipstick leaves a soft, natural stain, which is another great way to rock wine red.
3. Max Factor’s Colour Elixir Giant Pen Stick in Intense Plum, P578 If there’s anything a dark lipstick demands, it’s definition (but let’s not forget confidence). Intense Plum is a high-impact hue in pencil form (our fave!) that applies with ease and precision. Wear it alone or underneath an extra layer of matching color!
4. Christian Dior’s Diorific Lipstick in 001 Diorama, P2,200 Is it possible for a girl to resist Dior’s coveted gold-covered bullet? We think not. 001 Diorama is half-red, half-purple, and completely gorgeous. Swipe it for instant glitz and glamour.
5. NARS’ Pure Matte Lipstick in Valparaiso, P1,450 NARS is known for look-at-me lip color, and this is no exception. If you’re in the market for major, major drama, call off the search with Valparaiso. This hue packs a powerful punch of oxblood red. Ka-POW!
6. PILI’s Pili Lipstick in Bordeaux, on sale at P605 Many times, lipstick can leave us looking worse for wear with all the drying and flaking it causes. But with this local lippie, which is infused with pili oil, you won’t have to choose between smooth lips and painted ones. PILI’s Bordeaux is a sultry, buildable wine shade that’ll keep your pout in tiptop shape.
7. Laura Mercier’s Creme Smooth Lip Colour 3 in Merlot, P1,250 If this is good enough for Reese Witherspoon (which Fashiontimes.com says is the case), then it’s good enough for us! Merlot slides across your lips like silk and leaves a satin finish that is neither too sheer nor too matte. That’s precisely why we’d recommend this deep, sophisticated shade for day.
8. L’Oréal Paris’ Extraordinaire Liquid Lipstick in 304 Ruby Opera, on sale at P360 If you’re new to deep red lips, this might be a good place to start. 304 Ruby Opera is a sheer red-plum that goes on glossy. It’s fresh and youthful, builds for more potency, and in our opinion, is suitable for even conservative makeup users who want to dip their toes into the wine cooler.
9. Pink Sugar’s Creamy Matte Lipstick in Diva, P349 You know it’s going down when you slap on a coat of Diva. Its deep reddish-burgundy hue will give you so much confidence, it’ll make Beyoncé proud. See how pretty it looks on one of our officemates here.
10. City Color’s City Chic Lipstick in Moulin Rouge, P225 There is a risk-taker in us all, and that girl would wear Moulin Rouge. Take this deep, dark secret out for a spin on the party circuit—it’ll do all the talking for you.
LOVE LIPSTICK? READ THESE STORIES:
Just so you know, we share cookies