Skin shinier than the average? Many women think they can overpower hyperactive sebaceous glands with products that suck all the oil out of their pores. Unfortunately, this actually does more harm than good. The wiser move is to seek out formulas that minimize shine but don’t strip your skin of healthy moisture. When it comes to oily skin, a balance between the two is key!
So if you’re a greasy gal, check our list of mattifying products below—they’ll keep you shine-free and super-fresh, even when it’s hot out.
1. Maybelline White SuperFresh, P299 This foundation applies matte and wears for up to a whopping 12 hours. No touchups needed, but if you like, you can also use it as a pressed powder! The secret to its mattifying power is in the way its formula absorbs oil (and sweat). Test it by spraying the powder with water—rather than sitting on the surface, it will sink right in.
2. My Prime Mattifying Moisturizer, P1,050 Yes, oily girls should still moisturize. And the cool thing about this two-in-one product is that it works a moisturizer and a mattifying primer. The pili and moringa oils in it smooth and hydrate skin, while oil-control elements make it ideal for use under makeup.
3. Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder, P375 Say hello to a Holy Grail find for unwanted glossy skin. This translucent powder contains mattifying minerals from Jeju Island, South Korea, which absorb excess sebum without stripping away too much moisture. It’s also known to minimize the look of enlarged pores and leave a baby-smooth finish.
4. Lioele Water Drop BB, P500 In the mood for no-makeup makeup? This BB cream feels like you’re wearing nothing at all and delivers a soft-focus matte effect. Don’t be afraid—it’s not too dewy for your skin type.
5. Banila Co. Prime Primer Classic Matte, P1,090 If you find yourself blotting constantly, this tried-and-true primer should help reduce the hassle. Its lightweight gel formula creates a silky canvas for you to apply foundation over. And you can also use it to touch up, even over makeup.
6. Bioré UV Perfect Face Milk SPF50, P380 Consider this your summer-day staple. Dubbed a “milk” for its fluid texture, this ultra-light sunscreen shields you from the strongest UV rays without leaving a white cast. But what you’ll love most is the sebum-absorbing powder in its formula, which wards off shine.
7. It’s Skin Power 10 Formula PO Effector, P599 Fighting oil with oil might sound strange, but this powerful serum actually regulates over-zealous sebum production. That helps refine the skin surface, so you not only look less oily, you also get a more youthful complexion. Use it in the evenings so it penetrates deep into your pores while you sleep, unearthing your best skin ever in the AM.
8. Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation, P2,250 This oil-free cream base leaves a velvet-matte finish that looks convincingly like natural skin. It’s celebrated for its long-wear—another whopping 12 hours, just like Maybelline White SuperFresh. Guess that’s the new standard for oily-girl-appropriate makeup!
Top photo: Maybelline
Just so you know, we share cookies