Some trends are better than others—that’s the tea. You’d think something as personal as health and wellness would be immune to fads, right? But no, we’re all just trying to figure out what works for us out here. And if wading through the junk gets us to the gold, then we’re happy to do it! Below, we round up 10 “diet trends” that have proven themselves legit. Get on the bandwagon, stat!
10 “DIET TRENDS” YOU CAN TRY RIGHT NOW
1. LOW TO NO-GLYCEMIC SWEETS The glycemic index is a number that determines if a certain food will spike your insulin levels or not. The lower the GI, the better. It’s a great way to monitor your sugar intake if you have diabetes, hormonal issues, or if you’re simply watching your weight. Thankfully, there are plenty of low-glycemic snacks that are more nutritious than a slice of cake but are equally satisfying. No need to deny your sweet tooth anymore!
WE LOVE: One Bar Birthday Cake, P150, Lara Bar Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bar (45g), P70, Quest Double Chocolate Chip Protein Cookie (59g), P120, RXBar Mixed Berry Protein Bar (52g), P135, Swerve Sugar Replacement Granular (12oz.), P540, Eating Evolved Primal Chocolate Bar in Crunchy Caramel, P280
2. GRAIN-FREE Going grain-free means replacing all the grains in your diet with plant-based complex carbohydrates. This is great for those with gluten sensitivities and other health issues, or anyone who’s giving paleo a whirl. Common substitutes for grains in grain-free options include seeds and nuts. They’re protein-rich, filling, and are often able to mimic the texture of our favorite grains.
WE LOVE: Purely Elizabeth Chocolate Sea Salt Grain-Free Granola Bar (40g), P135, Go Raw Banana Bread Sprouted Bar (34g), P199
3. SUPERFOOD GREENS Once you’ve developed a greens habit, meals can feel unbalanced without a serving or two. And because veggies are so essential to our diets, the wellness community has developed countless ways to make sure we get our daily fill. Now you can have them in pre-packaged salad mixes, in potent tonics, and in energizing smoothies!
WE LOVE: Amazing Grass Organic Kale Powder (150g), P870
4. HIGH PROTEIN “DESSERTS” Weight-lifting gym rats, rejoice! Protein powders need not be the only way to get your fill of the muscle-building macronutrient on the go. These days, protein-packed snacks are everywhere—and many of them are so sweet and tasty, they could pass for dessert.
WE LOVE: Sinfit Chocolate Chip Protein Cookie (78g), P130, Living Intentions Malted Maple Activated Superfood Nut Blend, P470
5. HEALTHY FATS Have we talked about fat enough yet? ICYMI, we love healthy fats because they’re anti-inflammatory, energizing, and are great for our hearts, among other things. Lucky for us, we can never run out of options to stuff ourselves with! From avocado oils to seed butters, the world of good-for-you fats continues to have something for everyone.
WE LOVE: Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo with Avocado Oil, P540, Yumbutter Superfood Sunflower Butter, P470, Wild Friends Chocolate Almond Butter, P119, Artisana Raw Coconut Butter (14oz.), P690
6. COLLAGEN INFUSIONS Thanks to its ability to fight free radical damage, anti-aging collagen continues to dominate the wellness spotlight. As a result, we’ve gone way beyond just collagen shots and face masks. Now, you can have your dose of collagen in everything—your morning cup of matcha included. Fun!
WE LOVE: Bulletproof Vanilla Shortbread Collagen Protein Bar (45g), P170, Vital Proteins Matcha Collagen Powder Tub (341g), P3,040, Ancient Nutrition Dr. Axe Multi Collagen Protein (10g), P80
7. NUTRITIONAL YEAST If you’re vegan, lactose intolerant, or just trying to cut down on cheese, we’re sure nutritional yeast has come up in all your Google searches. A common ingredient in non-dairy cheese concoctions, this low-sodium, cholesterol-free seasoning is incredibly cheese-like. It’s like cheese dust minus the potential threat to your kidneys.
WE LOVE: Bragg Nutritional Yeast, P475
8. ADAPTOGENS If you’ve been following Goop or other wellness outlets, chances are you have a vague idea of what adaptogens are. Basically, they’re non-toxic herbs and roots that are used in alternative medicine. So, what are they good for? Relieving stress seems to be its main thing. But different blends do target different needs. So whether that’s skin-perfecting, brain-boosting, or sexual healing, adaptogens have a lil something to offer.
WE LOVE: Moon Juice Beauty Dust Bottle (42.5g), P1,999, Moon Juice Brain Dust Sachet (3g), P199, Moon Juice Sex Dust Sachet (3g), P199
9. BIOTIN In this imperfect world, having luscious Rapunzel locks is a privilege that only a fair few get to have. The rest of us have to try a little harder. Thank god for Biotin: the miracle vitamin that thickens hair and strengthens nails. The Kardashian-approved SugarBearHair gummies are packed with the stuff and have developed quite a cult following. Everyone just swears they work!
WE LOVE: SugarBearHair Hair Vitamins (60 Count), P2,000
10. DIGESTIVE SUPPORT For those not born with all the necessary enzymes, “going with your gut” often means passing on so many delicious foods. Enter digestive supplements: they make it easier for those with food intolerances to indulge. With these in your medicine cabinet, it’s open season on gluten, protein, and all other no-no foods. Your stomach can handle it!
WE LOVE: Arthur and Andrew Aminolase TPA (30 Capsules), P1,680, Enzymedica Glutenease Extra Strength (60 Capsules), P2,190
To discover more about healthy living, visit our Wellness Tab.
Photos via Instagram: @larabar, @rxbar, @purely_elizabeth, @go_raw, @amazinggrass (1, 2),@sinisterlabs, @livingintentions, @yumbutter, @artisanaorganics, @vitalproteins, @ancientnutrition, @bragglivefoodproducts, @moonjuice (1, 2), @sugarbearhair
For more cool stories and members-only perks, sign up for BeautyMNL!